For about four decades, the Ford F-150 has been America’s best-selling pickup truck (and its best-selling vehicle in general), though the Chevy Silverado 1500 continues to act as though it is anywhere in its league. When it comes down to it, there’s a reason more buyers choose the F-150 than they do the Silverado 1500. For 2018, with Ford’s aluminum body and the off-road Raptor option, the F-150 continues that distinction above the Silverado 1500.
Here are just a few of the areas in which the F-150 beats out the competition:
- Price: The base F-150 is priced nearly $1,000 cheaper than the base Silverado 1500.
- Interior: The interior of the Ford F-150 is incredibly comfortable, with upscale features and cozy seats. The Silverado offers a nice interior as well, but the F-150 gets the edge: It even has available leather heated and ventilated seats with a massaging function.
- Cargo: Though each truck offers similar cab configurations, the F-150 offers a total of nine combos, while the Silverado only gives you the choice among five. The F-150’s crew cab/long-bed configuration also offers the most combined cabin and bed space of either truck’s configurations.
- Performance: The F-150’s base engine generates 290 horsepower while the Silverado 1500’s makes 285. But it’s the Ford F-150 Raptor trim that offers the most power: 450 horsepower and 510 lb-ft of torque. The F-150 also ultimately offers the better towing rating. Despite the better performance, the F-150 gets better fuel economy ratings, thanks in part to its aluminum construction and its EcoBoost engines. The most efficient F-150 gets up to 26 miles per gallon on the highway (2.7-liter V6 mated to 10-speed automatic gearbox on rear-wheel drive platform). The closest the Silverado 1500 can do is 24 mpg highway.*
- Handling: The 2018 Ford F-150 has also been lauded for its responsive and composed ride, more so than the Silverado 1500.
In 2018 as in 2008, 1998 and prior decades, the Ford F-150 continues to be the vehicle of choice among pickup truck buyers. Test drive it today at Gurley Motor Company.